La rentrée arrive! Back to school will soon be here and I am starting to think about all the songs we will be singing in September! I love using music in my classroom and fortunately Youtube is an excellent source of songs that are perfect for beginning French Immersion (or Core French students)! My focus for the month of September is on greetings, counting and useful school objects! What a weighty list. But, with the help of some songs, my students are quick to pick up the new vocabulary.
Here is a list of my Top Ten Favourites for Back to School!
- Bonjour mes amis! The first words we learn! This song includes the expression “Comment ça va” as well and is our greeting song. Students walk around the room singing and shaking hands with their classmates as we greet each other each morning.
2. Bonjour, Bonjour!
3. For more advanced learners, this song by Juli Powers always amuses!
4. And Alexandre has this fun song as well!
Songs for Back School Vocabulary
5. Our first vocabulary unit is all about the resources we use in the classroom. This song introduces the language structure “Dans mon sac d’école, il y a . . .” and the children love it!
6. “Mon sac à dos” by Gregg Lerock is another favourite! The pictures are hilarious in this video.
7. “Qu’est-ce que c’est?” by Jacquot has a great beat and we love to dance! It also helps us work on the language structure “C’est un/un”.
Songs for Counting
8. We focus on numbers 1 to 20 throughout the month of September and there is nothing like a little Boogie Woogie to get things going! Mini-Tfo is one of my all-time favourite resources and I don’t think I’ve come across a song from them that my students did not like!
9. This is another fun one with the numbers! Singing numbers helps students learn to count so much more quickly!
10. Alain le Lait has this wonderful series of numbers with the funkiest worms! We use this song throughout the month of September (and even into October) as our transition to Math time song.
What are some of your favourite songs for Back to School?
Read More: 10 jeux de vocabulaire pour la rentrée
French Active Listening Posters
Subscribe to get lots of ideas for teaching French Immersion! PLUS receive this FREE set of Active Listening Posters!